Genesis 17:12-13 Every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring, both he who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money, shall surely be circumcised.
Why does God command Abraham to perform circumcisions? This seems especially unjust towards an adult slave who apparently must relinquish themselves to genital alteration in addition to a general lack of physical freedom. Why doesn't God discourage Abraham from owning slaves in the first place?
- Circumcision Research: Answers from the Bible to Questions about Circumcision
- Does the Bible condone slavery?
- What does the Bible say about slavery?
- Circumcision: History and Recent Trends
- Wikipedia: History of male circumcision
- Iron Chariots: Slavery in the Bible
- Skeptic's Annotated Bible: Genesis 17:12
Genesis 17:12, Genesis 17:13