Genesis 22:1-2 After these things God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” He said, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.
Genesis 22:9-12 When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built the altar there and laid the wood in order and bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.
We are told that Abraham was ordered by God to sacrifice his own son. As Abraham is about to strike Isaac, an angel tells him to stop and that God now knows he is fearful of him, so he spares Isaac. Why did God need to test Abraham at all? Up to this point Abraham has been extremely loyal. Why did God need to test him in this way? As an omnipotent being, wouldn't he have already known if Abraham was fearful of him? Why is it important that Abraham fears God? Why did God choose human sacrifice as the test? Does God support human sacrifice? If he does not support human sacrifice, why would he want a follower who would willingly do such a thing even if commanded to? Abraham obviously believed that his God could and would demand such a sacrifice.
- Rational Christianity: Why did God tell Abraham to sacrifice Isaac?
- Bible Commentaries: Genesis 22:1
- Creation to Eschaton: Was Abraham's Attempt to Sacrifice Isaac a Faithful Response to God?
- Got Questions?: Why did God command Abraham to sacrifice Isaac?
- The Big Picture: Why the Binding of Isaac Was Not about Faith
- Christian Courier: Ishmael or Isaac? The Koran or the Bible?
- Dwindling in Unbelief: Test your faith: Is it as great as Abraham's?
- Skeptic's Annotated Bible: Does God know and see everything?
- Skeptic's Annotated Bible: Does God approve of human sacrifice?
- Skeptic's Annotated Bible: Genesis: 22:1
Genesis 22:1, Genesis 22:2, Genesis 22:9, Genesis 22:10, Genesis 22:11, Genesis 22:12