Genesis 30:9-10 When Leah saw that she had ceased bearing children, she took her servant Zilpah and gave her to Jacob as a wife. Then Leah's servant Zilpah bore Jacob a son.
Genesis 30:18 Leah said, “God has given me my wages because I gave my servant to my husband."
After Leah is no longer able to conceive, she offers her servant to Jacob as a wife so that she may have more children through her. Leah is then rewarded for her actions by being allowed to conceive children again. Why would God reward what is effectively polygamy?
- Bible Commentaries: Genesis 30:18
- Creation Ministries International: Does the Bible clearly teach monogamy?
- Biblical Polygamy
- Answers in Genesis: What About Polygamy in the Bible?
- Got Questions?: Polygamy
- Skeptic's Annotated Bible: What the Bible says about Polygamy
- Skeptic's Annotated Bible: Genesis 30:18
- Wikipedia: Contemporary Religious Attitudes to Polygamy
Genesis 30:9, Genesis 30:10, Genesis 30:18